Friday, December 6, 2013

Easy Chicken Pot Pie


The holiday season stress has begun! AAAAAAAH! I can’t afford Christmas yet! Wasn’t it just Halloween? Why am I still finding pine needles from last Christmas!? I don’t even live in the same house anymore! I can’t find my wreath! Even the dog has a holiday sweater on and I don’t! 

Nope, not kidding.

So to minimize the stresses that are coming, allow me to present to you a few blogs of holiday cheer! BEER! And food. Because what is food without beer? And beer without food?

The holidays can cause quite a stir in even the tamest of households, and ours is never tame anyway. This is why we try to plan out simpler dinners during these tumultuous times to ease our minds and tummies. Eric can make gourmet dinners out of a very barren cabinet. I have a multitude of simple cold weather meals in my noggin that warm you up from the mind to the toes. It keeps us sane. So as we are in the process of gathering info for our holiday beer blog, here are some recipe posts to get you going!

The first of which is my simple, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO COOK AND IT’S A WEEKNIGHT AND IM TIRED AND ITS SNOWING AND I SAT IN TRAFFIC FOR AN HOUR AND I AM ONLY MAKING ONE STOP meal. And its yummy.

Stop at your local grocery store and pick up whatever rotisserie chicken thing is on sale. We will get one of these, usually for $6 or so, and eat chicken, potatoes, and a veggie one night. Then we pick the carcass clean and put the extra chicken in the fridge for the next night. And this is what we make…


You will need:

  • Two rolled instant pie crusts (Pilsbury sells a box of two…Shop Rite and other grocers have a just-as-good generic version)

  • One can Veg-All (or generic peas and carrots, mixed veggies…really whatever you like…I have used canned mushrooms too)

  • One can cream of mushroom soup

  • One can cream of potato soup

  • Shredded leftover chicken (rotisserie is best…use the skin too!!!)


Preheat your oven to 375

Lay out one crust in a pie plate and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the bottom is just getting crisped

In a pan on your stove top, heat chicken, two kinds of soup, and can of veggies.

Season with salt and pepper. I like to add a little onion powder as well.

Stir until well mixed and creamy…it will be chunky! Make sure you taste it!

When the bottom crust is just crisping, remove from oven.

Pour in your chicken mixture.

Top with remaining pie crust and make cuts in the dough for the steam to escape.

Bake for 35-45 minutes at 375 or until top is golden brown.


Remove. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Cut. Eat. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment